Jul 31 2014
Grocery & Gourmet Food Dairy, Cheese & Eggs Artisan Cheese Cottage Cheese Cream Cheese Milk & Cream
This recipe is also one of the quick and easier cheeses to make with fresh goat milk.
- 2 gallons goat milk
- 1/2 cup or more vinegar
- Heat milk to 185°F in a stainless steel pot.
- Add vinegar until the milk begins to curdle, approximately 1/2 cup for 2 gallons of milk. Once the milk begins to curdle, stir well, and cover and let sit with no heat under it for an hour or more.
- Then ladle cheese curds into a lined colander (cheese cloth) and let drain over another pan to catch the whey. Drain longer for a drier cheese.
- Mold the cheese after draining fairly dry into carrot-stick shapes or into a rectangular box lined with parchment paper.
- Cut into strips and freeze individually on cookie sheets.
- Take from freezer and batter with your choice of batters, then fry quickly in hot oil.