These light-as-air souffles have a delicious cheese flavor. This souffle works wonders as a light lunch . Use a mild, fresh goat cheese like homemade Halloumi, Mozzarella or buy from the grocery store. This recipe serves 4
- 10 fl oz goat milk
- 10 oz Halloumi goat cheese
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz plain flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 3 tbsp finely snipped chives
- ¼ oz finely grated Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Cut a 16 in piece of baking parchment in half lengthways. Fold one half in half again and tie around a 5 in souffle dish using kitchen string. Lift the paper so it creates a collar that rises around 2 in higher than the dish. Butter the inside of the souffle dish and the paper generously.
- Put the milk in a small non-stick pan and add the onion, bay and thyme. Bring to a gentle simmer then remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Place a baking tray in the oven to heat. Strain the flavored milk through a fine sieve into a jug. Cut the rind off the goat cheese and cut the cheese into ¾ in pieces – you should end up with 7oz cheese.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Stir in the flour, cook for a few seconds then gradually start adding the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. When the sauce is smooth and very thick, continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly then remove from the heat and stir in half the goat cheese.
- Whisk the egg yolks lightly and stir into the milk mixture until smooth. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Pour into a large mixing bowl and cover the surface with a sheet of cling film to prevent a skin forming.
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. They are ready when you can turn the bowl upside down without them sliding out.
- Stir the chives into the cheese sauce. Fold in the remaining cheese. Fold in a large spoonful of the egg white until combined, then fold in the remainder.
- Pour the mixture slowly into the prepared souffle dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan and freshly ground black pepper – try to keep the parmesan towards the center of the souffle so it does not melt and hinder the rise by sticking to the paper.
- Bake on the preheated baking tray in the oven for 23-25 minutes or until golden-brown and risen.
- Remove from the oven, remove the string and serve the souffle immediately.
For a variation on this recipe, try the Double baked goat cheese souffles with pouring cream and a sprinkling of parmesan.
Click Here! Buttermilk Dairy Milk Eggnog Flavored Milk Heavy Cream Light Cream Whipping Cream Sour Cream Whipped Toppings Yogurt Packaged Cheese Feta Mozzarella Parmesan Provolone Ricotta Vegetarian Blue Cheese Cheddar Cheese Blends Almond Milk Soy Milk Milk Substitutes Butter & Margarine Cheese Assortments & Samplers
Home Cheese Making
portable music keyboard