Cauliflower cheese is a classic dish. It can be eaten as a main course, for lunch or dinner, or as a side dish. Less than 30 minutes preparation time, and 30 minutes to an hour cooking time. This recipe serves 4.
- 1 large head cauliflower – cut into florets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- ¾ .oz butter
- ¾ .oz flour
- 6-8 rasps nutmeg
- 9fl oz skimmed goat milk
- 1½..oz mature cheddar – finely grated
- 2 tsp English mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until a light golden color. Gradually add the milk until smooth, then cook over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes, mixing as you heat until thickened.
- Add the nutmeg. Turn down the heat and add the mustard and cheddar cheese. Taste and add a little pepper to taste.
- Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.
Recipes for 75 Homemade Cheeses