Yogurt cheese is a soft cheese made from draining the whey from yogurt. You will not find this cheese in the grocery stores but, it can be easily made at home.
Believed to have originated in Lebanon, yogurt cheese has a very smooth consistency much like cream cheese, but with the distinctive tangy taste of yogurt. It can be made from flavored yogurt, as well as plain.
Besides being delicious, yogurt cheese is high in calcium and great for those who are lactose intolerant, as the yogurt-making process converts the lactose in the milk into lactic acid.
Yogurt cheese is extremely versatile and can be used to add a nice zip of flavor to virtually any recipe in which cream cheese is used.
Once you make it, you probably would not have any problems coming up with your own original serving ideas that suit your tastes.
- Traditional – Serve covered in olive oil with crushed mint and black olives. Eat on toasted pita.
- Breakfast toast – Spread on toast and top with a thin layer of jam.
- Crackers and cheese – Mix with fresh herbs and serve on crackers.
- As a spread – Mix with diced pimientos and black olives and spread in celery sticks, or use as a filling for finger sandwiches.
- As a dip – Combine with taco seasoning or ranch dressing mix to create a dip for vegetables or chips.
Check back frequently for my upcoming updates “How to make yogurt cheese”Click Here! Buttermilk Dairy Milk Eggnog Flavored Milk Heavy Cream Light Cream Whipping Cream Sour Cream Whipped Toppings Yogurt Packaged Cheese Feta Mozzarella Parmesan Provolone Ricotta Vegetarian Blue Cheese Cheddar Cheese Blends Almond Milk Soy Milk Milk Substitutes Butter & Margarine Cheese Assortments & Samplers